Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Chicken à la King

A staple in my house growing up was to make chicken à la king (also known as creamed chicken to me) with leftovers. I absolutely love it and find it to be a comfort food.

We made a whole chicken and already cooked tacos with it, so I wasn't sure what to do. Then I remembered creamed chicken. I called my mom and got a quick recipe. There is so much more you can add, but here is a quick and simple recipe to follow:

Ingredients
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup milk
- leftover chicken (or turkey), shredded or cubed
- frozen peas
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- salt
- pepper
- toast

Directions
1. Melt butter in a medium-sized skillet
2. Sprinkle flour over melted butter and pour in milk
3. Whisk a few minutes until it begins to thicken. Add more milk or flour until you get the consistency you want
4. Add onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste, while continuously whisking
5. Throw in the chicken and as many peas as you'd like and whisk until heated
6. Put your bread in the toaster and serve the chicken mixture over the toast


I've also seen people add mushrooms, bell peppers, pimientos, and more. Add whatever you like! We always have all of these ingredients in our house so it makes for a perfect quick meal and change of pace when trying to figure out what to do for dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment